This coconut cream pasta makes a simple but delicious gluten-free, vegan dinner. It’s so easy and can be whipped up in about the time it takes to cook the pasta! You can also customize it with different veggies to suit your taste.
Ingredients for this vegan pasta with coconut cream sauce
I used the Barilla brand but this recipe works well with gluten-free and regular pasta of any shape.
Coconut milk or cream
Roasted Bell Peppers
Store-bought or homemade can be used. I’ve previously shared details on how to perfectly roast red peppers in the oven or on the stovetop in my Baked Tofu Sandwich recipe. It’s easy to do and much cheaper than store-bought.
Any small brown mushrooms can work
Salt and pepper
(Full recipe details in the Printable Card at the end)
Which type of coconut milk is best to use for this creamy pasta sauce
Light coconut milk has less fat and more water added to it than regular coconut milk. The result is a less thick and creamy liquid with less coconutty flavour. Homemade coconut milk is also similar to canned light coconut milk.
Full fat canned coconut milk has more of the rich flavour of coconut flavour with a creamier taste. It’s my preferred type to use in pasta recipes. But choose the type based on your personal preference.
What if I don’t like coconut milk?
If you don’t like the coconut flavour, you can try other types of plant-based milk. Cashew milk also has a creamy consistency.
In fact, I’ve used cashew milk before in my Vegan Fettucine Alfredo recipe. Other plant-based milk such as oat, soy or almond milk would give a less creamy result.
Which other beans can be added to the pasta?
Beyond chickpeas, you can add a lot of other beans to your pasta. Try black beans, cannellini beans or other white beans.
Can I make this pasta dish with nutritional yeast?
Sure. If you’d like to add a slightly cheesy flavour to this recipe, try 3 tbsp nutritional yeast with 2 tsp lemon juice.
How can I make this creamy pasta recipe oil-free?
Coconut milk or cream naturally contains oil. If you’d like to make this vegan pasta recipe without oil, omit the oil needed for frying and try another type of plant-based milk.
Add the milk to the saucepan with the seasonings and spices and simmer until the sauce thickens. Toss in the cooked pasta then serve.
Coconut Cream Pasta with Chickpeas and Roasted Peppers (Vegan + Gluten free)
- 6 oz gluten-free spaghetti, (171g)
- 1 cup coconut milk or cream, (250ml)
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas, (125g)
- 2 roasted bell peppers, chopped
- 6 small brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot sized onion, sliced (or 1/4 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook gluten-free spaghetti according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in coconut milk, chopped roasted peppers, rosemary, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, then stir in drained, cooked chickpeas and drained spaghetti. Heat through for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- This recipe also works with other gluten-free and regular pasta of any shape.
- Check out my Baked Tofu Sandwich recipe for details on how roast bell peppers at home in the oven or on the stovetop.
- Use full-fat or regular coconut milk for best results but light coconut milk may be used.
- Cashew milk has the closest creamy consistency to coconut milk, if you’re looking for an alternative.
- More vegan pasta recipes: Vegan Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, Vegan One Pot Pasta, Easy Vegan Mushroom Alfredo
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Disclosure