This vegan shepherd’s pie recipe is a simple, delicious option for comfort food fans. It’s a cheap and easy way to combine some of your favorite ingredients.
This vegan cottage pie is a gather-around-the-table classic perfect for a chilly evening.
This meatless and gluten-free take on a British favorite is made with plant-based mince and lentils seasoned to perfection, then topped with creamy mashed potatoes.
This budget-friendly dish is perfect for meal prep! It can be served with air fryer green beans for added wholesomeness.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Potatoes – try to get a starchy, floury variety.
- Olive oil
- Carrot – try parsnips for a similar but slightly different flavor.
- Onion and Garlic
- Meatless crumbles/mince – I used Gardine which is precooked, but you can also use soy mince, rehydrated in vegetable stock.
Plant-based grounds such as Beyond Meat and Impossible are exceptionally good but can be pricier compared to other options.
They will also require extra cooking time to brown in the pan before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Dried lentils – green or brown, soaked overnight for quicker cooking. They are ideal as they’ll be the correct size and texture for a meat-like dish. They also help thicken the stew. You can use all lentils or replace them with more vegan mince in this recipe.
- Brown mushrooms – baby bella or crimini, oyster or shiitake. These are optional but do add a lot of umami. I use frozen shiitakes, which are cheaper than fresh ones. If small ones are unavailable, you can also use one large portobello or king oyster.
- All-purpose flour
- Mixed herbs – try to go for green herbs like rosemary or basil, as they’ll work well with the thyme.
- Tomato paste
- Chopped or crushed tomatoes
- Sugar – balances the acidity of the tomatoes in the dish.
- Vegetable stock – I used Better than Bouillion No Beef Base, but any option will work. Homemade vegetable stock is excellent, too!
- Vegan butter or margarine
- Oat milk – I’d suggest oat milk over other plant-based types of milk as it has a neutral flavor.
- Nutritional yeast – optional, but it adds a wonderful flavor to the mashed potatoes.
- Salt and pepper
How To Make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Peel, chop and boil the potatoes for about 30 minutes until they’re soft. Preheat the oven to 425˚F or 220˚C, and grease a casserole dish.
- Add the oil, onion, carrot, mushrooms, and garlic to a pan, and cook them until the onions soften and start to brown.
- Add the meatless crumbles and flour. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds. For uncooked plant-based ground such as Beyond Meat, brown while breaking it up into smaller pieces before adding in the flour.
- Add the lentils, herbs, puree, tomatoes, stock, and sugar. Cover and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for around 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the filling thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Season the mixture to taste, and then pour it into the casserole dish.
- Mash the potatoes with vegan butter and oat milk until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
- Add the mash to the top of the casserole dish, and spread it evenly. Mark the top with a pattern using a fork or butter knife if desired.
- Brush the top with a bit of melted vegan butter to help with browning. Bake the pie in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool for about 30 minutes for easier slicing.
Meal Prep Storage
Allow the meal to cool to room temperature, and then transfer servings of the pie to individual containers.
Transfer the containers to the fridge for three to four days or to the freezer for up to three months.
You can also assemble the casserole ahead of time. Wrap it tightly in layers of cling film and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
How To Reheat
To reheat prebaked refrigerated shepherd’s pie, transfer a portion to a microwave-safe plate or container heat on High for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
For an entire pie, place it in the oven, preheated to 180˚C or 350˚F, for 30 to 40 minutes.
For the frozen pie, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. If the pie is unbaked, bake as directed in the recipe.
More Budget-friendly Vegan Dinner Recipes
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie (with mince)
- 9” x 11" x 3" casserole dish
Baking Recipes: For more accuracy, use Metric measurements and measuring spoons.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Russet potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, yellow or red, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g) vegan mince, I used Gardine meatless crumbles (See Notes)
- ⅓ cup (70 g) dried lentils, green or brown, soaked overnight
- ½ cup (100 g) frozen sliced brown mushrooms, minced, optional, see notes
- 2 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 14 oz (400 g) canned tomatoes, chopped or crushed
- 2 cup (600 ml) vegetable stock, I used Better than Bouillion No Beef Base
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup (50 g) vegan butter or margarine, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp oat milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, (optional)
- Fill a large pot with water, add the potatoes and boil them on high heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until they are soft.2 lbs (1 kg) Russet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C and grease a casserole dish with extra oil or vegan butter.2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil at medium heat in a large skillet or dutch oven. Add the onion, carrot, mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and soft.1 large onion ,1 large carrot ,3 cloves garlic ,½ cup (100 g) frozen sliced brown mushrooms
- Add the meatless crumbles and sprinkle in the flour. Cook while stirring for about 30 seconds. For uncooked plant-based ground such as Beyond Meat, cook and brown it while breaking it up into smaller pieces before adding in the flour.1 lb (500 g) vegan mince ,2 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Add the soaked and drained lentils, mixed herbs, tomato purée, tomatoes, vegetable stock and sugar. Cover to bring to a boil. Remove the lid and cook at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the filling thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.⅓ cup (70 g) dried lentils ,1 ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs ,1 tbsp tomato paste ,14 oz (400 g) canned tomatoes ,2 cup (600 ml) vegetable stock ,2 teaspoon sugar ,2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish and set aside.salt and black pepper
- Drain the potatoes and add them to a large bowl. Add in the vegan butter and oat milk and mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth and creamy. Mix in the nutritional yeast and season to taste with salt and black pepper.¼ cup (50 g) vegan butter or margarine ,2 tbsp oat milk ,2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Add the mashed potatoes to the casserole dish and spread evenly over the filling. Mark the top with a pattern using a fork or butter knife if desired.
- Lightly brush the top with extra melted vegan butter to help with browning.¼ cup (50 g) vegan butter or margarine
- Bake the pie for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool for about 30 minutes for easier slicing.
- Small brown mushrooms include baby bella or crimini, oyster and shiitake. You may also use one large portobello or king oyster mushroom.
- You can use all vegan mince or all lentils in this recipe. You can also use 8 oz/250g soy mince – rehydrate it in extra stock.
- The vegetable stock used is salty, so I recommend seasoning the filling with salt closer to the end of cooking.
- Store individual servings in airtight containers in the fridge for three to four days or in the freezer for up to three months.
- You can also assemble the casserole ahead of time. Wrap it tightly in layers of cling film and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
- To reheat prebaked refrigerated pie, transfer a portion to a microwave-safe plate or container heat on High for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- For an entire pie, place it in the oven, preheated to 180˚C or 350˚F, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- For the frozen pie, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating. If the pie is unbaked, bake as directed in the recipe.