Whenever you’re craving some delicious Mexican cuisine, this vegan taco salad bowl will satisfy all your desires. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free and best of all completely meatless!
If you don’t normally get excited about salad, join the club. But the salad in this taco bowl will light your taste buds up. Enjoy a wide variety of seasonings and spices like cumin, paprika, and ground chipotle.
Your eyes will love all the vibrant colours of red bell peppers, tomatoes and avocado. Get your health on by adding some wholesome mushrooms and lettuce. Plus fill up on some protein-packed black bean and lentils.
Vegan Taco Salad Bowl Ingredients
Cooked Brown Lentils – They have an appealing, mild nutty flavour and are packed with protein and fibre to keep you full for hours. You can also use green lentils.
Mushrooms – They have a meaty flavour and texture that pair well with the lentils. My favourites include oyster, king trumpet and shiitake for the best flavour.
Liquid Aminos or Tamari – Both are gluten-free alternatives to soy sauce. They add a richer, savoury flavour to the lentil mix.
Almond flour – For an even tastier filling, try almond flour for a subtle, buttery sweetness. No almond flour? Simple blend some whole almonds to make it. I highly recommend it! You can also use ground walnuts. But if you can’t have nuts then feel free to omit them.
Garlic and onion
Herbs and spices that include: oregano, cumin, paprika, chipotle, all-purpose spice blend.
Add-ins – homemade salsa (recipe included), lettuce, avocado, black beans, corn tortilla chips
Optional add-ins – If you desire a creamy dressing, you can blend the avocados with some garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper and enough water to make it creamy and easy to pour.
How to Make Meatless Lentil Taco Filling
Making this meatless taco filling is super easy and you can use it not only in this salad but to fill any form of tacos. I can’t stress enough how delicious the combination of mushrooms, lentils and almonds are!
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add 1 cup chopped mushrooms and 1 large sliced onion. Cook until browned.
2. Add 3-4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp dried oregano, 1-2 tbsp liquid aminos or tamari, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1 tsp ground chipotle, 2 tsp all-purpose spice blend and 1 cup cooked and mashed lentils.
3. Heat through and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in ½ to 1 cup almond flour then remove from heat.
5. Stir in chopped cilantro, reserving a little for garnish.
How to Assemble the Vegan Taco Salad
1. Chop the lettuce and add to your salad bowl.
2. Add crumbles of the mushroom-lentil filling and black beans
3. Next, add diced avocado and salsa then stick in the tortilla chips.
4. Top with more chopped fresh cilantro before serving.
Vegan Taco Salad Bowl
Lentil Taco Filling
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos or tamari
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground chipotle, spicy!
- 2 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ½ large red onion, chopped
- ½ large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup black beans
- Corn tortilla chips
Making the Lentil Taco Filling
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped mushrooms and sliced onion. Cook until browned.
- Add minced garlic, dried oregano, liquid aminos or tamari, cumin, paprika, ground chipotle, all-purpose spice blend and cooked and mashed lentils.
- Heat through and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in almond flour then remove from heat.
- Stir in a handful of chopped cilantro, reserving a little for garnish.
- Combine all the ingredients for the salsa in a small bowl.
Assembling the Taco Salad
- Chop the lettuce and add to your salad bowl.
- Add crumbles of the mushroom-lentil filling and black beans
- Next, add diced avocado and salsa then stick in the tortilla chips.
- Top with more chopped fresh cilantro before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Disclosure