This vegan baked tofu sandwich is a super easy recipe packed with garlicky herb flavours, roasted red peppers and creamy avocado. It’s the perfect lunch to fill you up and last you until dinner time.
Ingredients for this Baked Tofu Sandwich
Firm or extra tofu
It holds its shape well in the sandwich. Don’t skimp on the spices! Be sure to season the tofu generously to give it the best flavour.
You can also try pressing the tofu as well to make it even firmer but this could take a few hours and this sandwich recipe is meant to be quick.
Roasted Garlic and Herb spice blend
I used McCormick’s brand. It’s a great dry-rub seasoning when you need to add some quick flavour to tofu. You can also use marinate tofu in a sauce overnight. Try barbecue sauce or Asian marinades such as teriyaki, hoisin or soy sauce.
Dried basil and oregano
Red bell pepper (Details on how to roast it below)
Sprouts or other greens
Sourdough or another type of bread
How to pick the perfect avocado
Whenever I share a recipe that includes avocado, I often get comments about how perfect it looks. So I thought I’d share how to pick the perfect avocado every single time. To check if an avocado is ripe:
Start by gently pressing or nudging the stem. If it moves then it’s safe to remove it. If it’s hard to remove or doesn’t pop off easily with the flick of a thumb, then it’s probably underripe. Give it another day.
If the stem comes off easily, take a look at the colour of the fruit underneath. If it’s green underneath then it’s perfectly ripe. If you find a brown or grey colour, it’s overripe or worse, rotten.
On the outside, some avocados will be dark green when ripe, while others may keep their light-green skin.
How to roast red bell peppers in the oven
Bell peppers generally have a sweet taste to them. When you roast them, they transform into a new flavour and become even sweeter. To roast red bell peppers:
1. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
2. Grab a sheet pan and put the whole peppers on the pan. Place them in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
3. Wait until the skin is wrinkled and the peppers look charred. Be sure to turn them twice while they’re roasting.
4. Once they are done, peel off the wrinkled or charred skin and remove the stems. Slice to use or for storing.
How to fire-roast bell peppers on the stovetop
Fire-roasting red bell peppers on the stovetop is my preferred method for roasting bell peppers. It’s a much quicker way of charring up those peppers. To fire-roast bell peppers:
1. Set the bell pepper on your gas stove.
2. Turn your burner on to the highest setting. Make sure the pepper is directly on the flame.
3. Allow the pepper to char completely on the outside, turning with a pair of tongs until all of it is blackened.
4. Remove the pepper from the flame and allow it to cool.
5. Peel off the charred skin, remove the stem then slice for use or storage.
How to Store Roasted Red Bell Peppers
Place roasted bell pepper slices in an airtight container, place in the fridge and use within 5 days. They can also be frozen for 1 to 2 months.
More easy vegan sandwich ideas:
Baked Tofu Sandwich with Roasted Red Pepper
- 10 oz block of firm tofu, (300g)
- 2 tbsp roasted garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sprouts or other greens
- 4 slices sourdough or other bread
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Drain tofu block and cut into 4 thick slices. Pat each slice dry with a clean, lint free towel or paper towels.
- Season slices completely with the roasted garlic and herb seasoning, basil and oregano. Apply light pressure to get some seasoning into the grooves of the tofu without breaking it up.
- Add the tofu to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Roasting the Bell Pepper in the oven
- Put the whole pepper on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. They can also be placed next to the tofu. Place in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake until the skin is wrinkled and looks charred. Turn twice while it’s roasting.
- Once done, peel off the wrinkled and charred skin and remove the stem.
- Slice to serve.
Fire-roasting the bell pepper on the stovetop
- Set the bell pepper on your gas stove.
- Turn your burner on to the highest setting. Make sure the pepper is directly on the flame.
- Allow the pepper to char completely on the outside, turning with a pair of tongs until all of it is blackened.
- Remove the pepper from the flame and allow it to cool.
- Peel off the charred skin, remove the stem then slice.
Assembling the Sandwich
- Get a slice of bread. You can toast it if you’d like.
- Top with some sprouts or you desired greens, 2 slices of baked tofu, avocado, roasted peppers and then another slice of bread
- More tasty vegan sandwich recipes: Vegan Tempeh Bacon Sandwich (Vegan BLT with Avocado), Vegan Rice Burger with Kinpira.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Disclosure