This vegan lentil lasagna will have your comfort food cravings beat! It’s so good that even a meat-eater would love it! It’s loaded with juicy vegan Italian sausage and hearty lentils cooked in a flavourful pasta sauce. Plus it’s gluten-free!
Lasagna was one of my favourite dishes growing up but this was actually my first time making it since being vegan.
So when I finally got my hands on some vegan sausages and mozzarella, this dish first came to mind.
And boy, absolutely no regrets! This was the best lasagna I’ve ever had. No tofu included.
Both myself and my partner, who also loves lasagna and is gluten sensitive, immediately went back for seconds.
The combination of vegan Italian sausage with the lentils into a hearty bolognese sauce makes this one rich and satisfying dinner. It’s so filling and packed with protein with a healthy dose of spinach.
How to make Vegan Lentil Lasagna
1. Start by adding 1 cup/200g of dried green lentils to a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. You can also use brown lentils in this recipe.
Soaking lentils before cooking is optional but if you usually have trouble digesting beans then soaking them for a few hours or overnight may help. I go into more details on soaking and even sprouting lentils in my Vegan Lentil Stew post.
2. Preheat your oven to 400°F/204°C.
3. Heat a large saucepan and add 2 chopped vegan sausages. I used Beyond Meat’s Hot Italian Sausage but you can use any vegan sausages you like. Cook until browned then add chopped, half a large onion.
4. Once the onion is browned, add cooked lentils. No need to drain the water from the lentils as the extra liquid helps to cook the lasagna noodles.
5. Add 1 teaspoon Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in one and a half jars (23oz/652g each) of pasta sauce. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Take a 10 by 10 inch or 9 by 11 inch casserole dish and pour in remaining pasta sauce. Spread sauce evenly then lay down 5 lasagna sheets, while overlapping.
I used a 10oz/283g package of gluten-free no-boil lasagna sheets. They are indeed a time saver and cook to perfection in the oven. I was surprised how sturdy these lasagna noodles were. Even after reheating a day later.
7. Spread on 1/3 or 10 big spoonfuls of the sausage-lentil mix. Be sure to cover the lasagna noodles completely to ensure they cook properly.
8. Next, add 1/3 of an 8oz/226g package of shredded vegan mozzarella (I used the Violife brand) and 2 cups/60g of spinach.
9. Repeat the layering process with the remaining lasagna sheets, lentil sauce and cheese.
10. Cover the lasagna with a casserole dish lid or aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes to make the lasagna easier to slice. Serve warm.
Can vegan lasagna be frozen?
It sure can! This vegan lasagna with lentils is a great make ahead, freezer-friendly meal. To freeze, cover completely and place in the freezer for up to 1 month. The lasagna can also be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to reheat vegan lasagna
To reheat vegan lasagna in the oven, first thaw at room temperature, or overnight in the fridge. Then add two tablespoons of water and place covered lasagna in a 400°F/204°C preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
To reheat vegan lasagna in the microwave, cut off a single serving, cover with a teaspoon of water to prevent drying out. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
How to make a vegan lasagna with fewer servings
If you’d like to make smaller vegan lasagna, please check out my Vegan Lasagna for Two recipe. It’s the perfect small-batch lasagna recipe that you can make for a dinner date without needing to store leftovers.
The recipe also includes tips on how to modify the quantities to fit different standard casserole sizes.
More vegan lentil recipes:
Gluten free, Vegan Lentil Lasagna with Sausage and Spinach
- 16 gluten-free no boil lasagna sheets, (10oz/283g package)
- 1 cup dried green lentils, (200g)
- Two 23oz jars pasta sauce, (two 652g jars)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 vegan sausages, (I used Beyond Meat Hot Italian, chopped)
- 2 cups spinach, (60g)
- 8 oz shredded vegan mozzarella, (226g)
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add lentils to a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/204°C.
- Heat a large saucepan and add chopped sausage. Cook until browned then add chopped onion.
- Once onion is browned, add cooked lentils with cooking liquid, Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in one and a half jars of pasta sauce.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Take a 10 by 10 inch or 9 by 11 inch casserole dish and pour in remaining pasta sauce. Spread sauce evenly then lay down 5 lasagna sheets, while overlapping. Spread on 1/3 or 10 big spoonfuls of the sausage-lentil mix. Next add 1/3 of the vegan mozzarella and all the spinach.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining lasagna sheets, lentil sauce and cheese. Cover the lasagna with a casserole dish lid or aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Disclosure