These vegan sausage rolls, flavored with garlic, herbs and spices are hearty and delicious. They make a great snack or a treat for your next party or picnic.
Vegan sausage rolls are great for potluck meals, picnics and buffets. They also make tasty appetizers for game-day or during the holidays.
They disappear fast because one of these is never enough! These little treats are made with puff pastry, filled with Beyond Meat and TVP or soy mince.
Nothing says comfort food more than warm, pastry-wrapped snacks.
Key Tips to Follow
- Try not to handle puff pastry dough too much else it might toughen.
- Thaw store-bought puff pastry for 45 mins or overnight in the fridge.
- Chill the unbaked sausage rolls before slicing to make them easier to cut.
- Use a vegan egg wash alternative to give the rolls a golden color while they bake. Options include plant-based milk mixed with maple syrup, aquafaba (the liquid from cooked chickpeas) or coconut oil.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Puff pastry sheets to enclose the filling. Ensure they are vegan-friendy or try my homemade Vegan Puff Pastry recipe. It makes the right amount for this dish.
- Beyond Meat ground – This is a great meat replacement.
- Textured vegetable protein (soy mince) to add a contrasting flavor and texture
- Vegetable broth to rehydrate the TVP
- Olive oil
- Onion and garlic
- Fennel seeds and Sage – Adds delicious earthy, umami flavor to the sausage filling but feel free to switch these for other herbs.
- Salt and black pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs to help bind the filling. If you’re using only Beyond Meat ground, then this is optional.
How to Make Vegan Sausage Rolls
(Quick summary. Full details in the recipe card at the end).
1. Rehydrate the textured vegetable protein in vegetable broth. Meanwhile, fry the onion and garlic.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the soy mince, along with the vegan ground meat, herbs, spices, panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Mix until combined then divide into 4 equal portions.
3. Cut the a puff pastry sheet in half, starting at the longer end. Repeat with the other sheet to make a total of 4 equal sheets.
4. Divide the filling between the pastry sheets. Shape into a log along one end of the sheet. Roll them up to enclose the filling and ending seam side down.
5. Arrange them on baking trays and refrigerate for half an hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 400°F/205°C. Cut each rolled up pastry sheet into 4 equal pieces and arrange them on baking sheets. Use a vegan-friendly ‘egg’ wash to brush the tops.
10. Bake them until golden brown. Enjoy!
Variations and Substitutions
- You can use all Beyond Meat for this recipe and omit the breadcrumbs.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with the seasoning. Consider a pinch of chilli flakes or cayenne for some heat. Switch the fennel and sage for fresh basil with a pinch of mixed dried Italian herbs.
- You can use shallots instead of onions.
- For a fancier presentation, sprinkle the sausage rolls with sesame seeds or nigella seeds (black caraway) before baking.
Can this Recipe be Prepared in Advance?
Vegan puff pastry can be made a couple of days ahead and refrigerated if you are making it from scratch. It also keeps it the freezer for months.
The filling can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated.
Another option is to also assemble the sausage rolls and keep them refrigerated for a day or two before baking. Don’t apply the ‘egg’ wash until just before baking else the pastry might get soggy.
After baking, these sausage rolls will keep for a day or two in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
They can also be frozen. Make sure they are completely cool first.
How to Reheat
Reheat the sausage rolls on a baking tray at 350°F/175°C for 10 minutes or until warmed through. From frozen, they will need about 20 minutes at 400°F/205°C.
They can be served as an appetizer, with or without ketchup or a dipping sauce.
To make a complete meal out of them, consider pairing them with fluffy mashed potatoes and green beans.
Another great comfort food option would be French fries or potato wedges and crispy onion rings on the side.
More Vegan Appetizer Recipes
Vegan Sausage Rolls
Baking Recipes: For more accuracy, use Metric measurements and measuring spoons.
- 1 lb (454 g) package of vegan puff pastry, or homemade – See notes
- 8 oz (230 g) Beyond Meat Ground
- 4 oz (115 g) Textured Vegetable Protein, or Soy Mince
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) ground fennel seeds, ground allspice or coriander seeds are good subs
- 1 tbsp (15 g) freshly chopped sage, thyme or rosemary are good subs
- ¾ teaspoon (4 g) salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) black pepper, or to taste
- ½ cup (25 g) panko breadcrumbs
- Vegan Egg-wash Substitutes, See Notes
Make the filling:
- Add the soy mince to a bowl and pour in the broth. Set aside and allow it to rehydrate for 2 minutes. If it’s too dry add a bit more broth.4 oz (115 g) Textured Vegetable Protein ,½ cup (120 ml) vegetable broth
- Heat a skillet at low heat, then add the oil, onions and garlic. Remove from the heat once the onions start to brown. Add them to the soy mince along with the Beyond Meat and remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.8 oz (230 g) Beyond Meat Ground ,4 oz (115 g) Textured Vegetable Protein ,1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil ,1 medium onion ,3 cloves garlic ,1 teaspoon (5 g) ground fennel seeds ,1 tbsp (15 g) freshly chopped sage ,3/4 teaspoon (4 g) salt ,1 teaspoon (5 g) black pepper ,1/2 cup (25 g) panko breadcrumbs
Fill the rolls:
- Lay out each thawed puff pastry sheet on a clean surface and slice in half, from the longer side. You should now have 4 sheets, in total.1 lb (454 g) package of vegan puff pastry
- Place equal amounts of the filling, in a tight log shape, along one end of each pastry sheet.
- Using the back of a knife or bench scraper to lift the pastry with the filling and roll up. End with the seam side down. Place them on the baking trays
- If the pastry becomes soft, place the trays in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes or until the butter is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Place the pastry back on a clean surface and slice into 4 equal pieces.
- Place each spaced apart on the baking trays lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops lightly with your preferred vegan egg wash.Vegan Egg-wash Substitutes
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with a tomato sauce or your preferred dipping sauce.
- Thaw store-bought puff pastry for 45 mins or overnight in the fridge.
- If you’re using 1lb of homemade vegan puff pastry dough, cut into half. Lightly flour a cutting board and roll out each half to about 10” x 15” x 1/8” (25cm x 38cm x 3mm). If the dough starts to resist or pull back, cover and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper or non-stick baking mats. Place the puff pastry sheets on each and tray and rest in the fridge while you make the filling. Continue the recipe as instructed.
- Vegan egg wash alternatives:
- Equal amounts plant-based milk and maple syrup/agave
- Aquafaba (the liquid from cooked chickpeas – homemade or canned)
- A thin layer of coconut oil